June 3, 2023

Unit M Special Deer Permits Now Available For New Hampshire

Print Friendly, PDF & Email

CONCORD, N.H. — Hunters who want the chance to take one additional
antlerless deer in Wildlife Management Unit M in southeastern New
Hampshire during the fall hunting season can buy a special permit online from
the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department starting July 3, 2006.

Interested hunters can visit http://www.nhfishandgame.com to purchase a
permit online; visit http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us for a
print-and-mail application; or buy a permit from Fish and Game headquarters in
Concord (stop in or call 603-271-3422 to request an application by mail).

Fish and Game will issue a total of 5,500 permits this year, an
increase from 2005, when 3,250 Unit M permits were issued. The increase
reflects a long-term objective to reduce deer numbers in this urbanized area
of the state.

Unit M permits are issued on a first-come, first-served basis and cost
$13. Applicants must hold a current New Hampshire hunting or archery
license. Hunters may not buy more than one Unit M permit each year.
Hunters may use this permit on any day during those seasons for which they
are legally licensed — including the archery, muzzleloader and regular
firearms seasons — to take one additional antlerless deer in Unit M.
Youth hunters are eligible to buy a Unit M permit.

The special Unit M permits have been issued by Fish and Game since 1997
in an effort to stabilize the size of the deer herd in southeastern New
Hampshire and minimize deer-human conflicts such as vehicle collisions
and destructive browsing of ornamental plants. Unit M has the highest
deer density in New Hampshire.

For specific boundaries for Unit M and more information on the special
permits visit
http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/Special_Unit_M_permits.htm, or
consult the N.H. Hunting Digest.

The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department is the guardian of the
state’s fish, wildlife and marine resources and their habitats.

Tom Remington