*Editor’s Note* – The article linked-to below, specifically the map and supposed “data” used in drawing the map, along with the comments and conclusions made by the author, are absolute garbage. This is a classic example of lying and twisting facts, while disregarding most qualifying data, to come up with a gobbeldy-gook of emotional drool aimed at sensationalizing gun ownership.
Note the quote below that states that in Maine “licensed [gun] dealers” are not required to report transactions. The law requirements for ALL dealers states:
FFL Duties and Prohibitions
Once licensed, federal law requires dealers to:
- Initiate background checks on unlicensed firearm purchasers;21
- Maintain records of the acquisition and sale of firearms;22
- Report multiple sales of handguns (i.e., the sale of two or more pistols or revolvers to an unlicensed person within any five consecutive business day period);23
- Report the theft or loss of a firearm to the Attorney General and to the “appropriate local authorities” within 48 hours after the theft or loss is discovered;24 and
- Provide a secure gun storage or safety device with every handgun purchased or sold.25
It is therefore REQUIRED by the Federal Government that a record be maintained by the gun dealer of all gun sales. It is a lie to state otherwise.
In Maine, neither licensed dealers nor private purchasers are required to report the transactions, and who knows how many rifles have been handed down from hunters to their children over the years?