May 23, 2019

Only 40% of “Any-Deer Permits” Are Left For the Average Joe Hunter

V. Paul Reynolds reminds readers that it appears wildlife management has become a great tool for politicians to appease their special interest “constituency” to ensure more votes. They have successfully allotted about 60% of the total number of doe permits (Any-Deer Permits) to their special interest buddies leaving only 40% for the general “random” drawing.

Reynolds wants to know where these proposed bills to give more special interest groups even more permits will end. He gives an example of how, if one bill passes, there will be no permits left. “If, for example, you guarantee old codgers like me (older than 70) a doe permit automatically, you have just issued 36,000 new doe permits! Yes, believe it or not, there are 36,000 Maine hunters 70 years or older.”

As I understand it, the proposed allotment of doe permits for this coming deer hunting season is around 66,000. If Reynolds’ figures are accurate, then 60% of those permits, are handed out to special interest groups and individuals, that would leave about 26,000 permits to be drawn in a random drawing. If this latest bill proposal passes that would automatically give a doe permit to all licensed hunters 70 years of age or older, some of those 70 year old hunters will not be given a permit because there aren’t enough to go around.

A lot of thought went into that proposal.

Time to end all this friggin nonsense!

Share

Are They the King’s Moose Or Are We Now Subsidizing Maine’s Sporting Camps

According to George Smith, he reports, “DIF&W, as it has on almost all the bills this session, testified in opposition to the change.” 

The change in question here is in regards to another elitist, socialism-type, subsidized effort to give an even larger percentage of moose hunting permits to sporting camps struggling to make a go of things. If things don’t stop, all hunting permits will go to special interest groups and preferred, elitist organizations. This often means those who most are in need of meat for food, can’t afford to play or don’t stack up to some good-ole-boy’s idea of who can hunt and who can’t.

Since when is Maine now responsible for subsidizing sporting camp owners? Free Enterprise dictates that you either got a good product that is in demand or you don’t. Only socialistic/communistic societies bilk the general tax payer to subsidize a business so that government can benefit. In this case, it’s not just a subsidization, it’s a case of being able to afford the King’s ransom.

We further read, “…two national hunting trip brokers, Worldwide Trophy Adventures (A Cabela’s Partner) and Huntin’ Fool, direct clients to send a couple hundred thousand dollars to the Department, in part based on the odds of getting a tag in Maine…” And this somehow is justification for the proposed bill?

So, according to this article, the odds of winning a lottery permit to hunt a moose has dropped by 50%. Yes, the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife (MDIFW) has seen fit, despite the hundreds, perhaps thousands, of moose suffering and dying each year due to winter ticks, to reduce the number of permits issued for hunting moose, evidently to perpetuate the winter tick problem. This reduction not only involves nonresident moose hunters. It has the same effect on Maine residents, and yet some in the legislature and those totalitarian/socialists think it’s equitable to subsidize the sporting camp owners and to hell with the rest of the hunting industry, as well as the many hundreds, or thousands, of Maine residents wishing for a chance to hunt a moose.

Maine Guides and Camp Owners already dictate to the MDIFW how to run game management and hunting seasons. Perhaps it’s time to end the good ole boy’s club of elitist participation and return to a science-based management plan and an even odds chance for every Maine hunter to obtain a permit to hunt.

Evidently, some are pushing to move hunting, and in particular moose hunting, into an elitist event of which only the wealthy can participate.

Thank you MDIFW for opposing such nonsense, and many of the other preferentially biased bill proposals aimed at benefiting special interest groups.

I have sympathy for people’s business’s that take a hit for any reason. That doesn’t make it right to force license holders and tax payers to foot the bill to keep them solvent. I doubt government would subsidize my business.

Share